As with all other home improvement projects, there is always the question of whether you should fix or buy new. If you are considering whether buying a new garage door versus repairing it, your garage door is mostly likely to be old and needs repair. After a certain number of years, it is best to just buy a new door due to all the new improvements garage doors have nowadays.
Garage Door Repair
Repairing the old garage is appealing to people for several reasons:
- It saves money. Buying new hardware, a garage door opener, and a bucket of paint costs a couple hundred dollars versus several thousand for a new one.
- It saves time. You don’t have to spend the whole day installing the door yourself or waiting around for others to install a new door.
- Painting the door is a quick way to improve the outside look of a home with little effort or money.
However, with fixing the garage door there are numerous drawbacks that one must consider before choosing the cheaper option. Repairing a garage door can be seen as a temporal solution.
- It will need to be repainted and/or repaired every few years.
- Repairing the door does not make it much safer.
- The old door is not as energy efficient as a new one.
- It may not improve home value as much as a new door will.
- The garage door may not fit or close correctly due to the outside elements it has experienced and its age, resulting in a crooked door.
Buying New Garage Door
After looking at all the drawbacks with repairing an old garage door, you may be now considering a new one. Buying anything new usually has many benefits and will last you longer in the long run. This is the case with garage doors.
Pros of Buying a New Garage Door
- Increased Safety – new sturdy doors along with reliable electronics and door openers.
- Little Maintenance – for many years you will not need to do much maintenance except clean it and maybe buy some hardware.
- More Energy Efficient – newer garage doors tend to be more energy efficient thus having better temperature regulations.
- Better appearance – having a new door makes the exterior look ten times better versus painting an old door.
- Saves money – in the long run having a new garage door saves you money from any costly repairs that an old door would need or the energy inefficiency an old door has.
- Home value – putting a new door in, will boost your home value, especially if you are looking to sell in the near future. It makes the home more appealing to potential buyers.
As with everything there are some drawbacks with buying a new garage door:
- It does cost some money – a new door must be purchased, along with hardware and labor.
- It may not fit right – the door frames of older homes may be a bit crooked causing some problems with installation.
- Finding the right person to install it correctly. Finding the right contractor to install the door maybe a bit tricky depending on your area.
Repair or Replace a Garage Door
Buying a new garage door will most likely be the best route for you. Of course, there are a few cons, but they pretty much do not outweigh all the benefits you will receive over the years, like safety, convenience, and energy efficiency.